Monday, October 15, 2012

Gearing Up

I have been very lazy about posting.  Time to get back to it.

We leave for SAN FRANCISCO! on Friday, drop the kids off at my moms and fly out of SLC on Saturday.  About a week before all this happens, my mom starts what she calls, "gearing up," for my kids to stay a week.  Believe me, it takes some preparation.

She usually starts by Benny proofing the house as much as possible.  Moving breakable and/or fragile things to little used corners of the house, or up high.  Although there's not a high space in our house he can't reach, it may lengthen the life of the object.

Next, she stocks up on essentials, things the older folks don't keep around anymore.  Peanut butter, real milk, applesauce and wipes.  I think she likes it when she's forced to have milk that is not soy based in the house for awhile.

Finally, she puts her boss on alert (the grand kids are coming, won't be here a full 40 hours this week) and starts calling in favors.  Having lived in the same town for over 20 years, she knows people that give train rides, own little ponies, give private tours of the firehouse and roll out some amazing Halloween parties.

All of this is punctuated with calls to me.

"Don't forget their Halloween costumes, I think the library has trick-or-treating..."

"Remember to bring their swimsuits, we might go to the pool..."

"Do I need a medical release form?"

She's a good grandma.  It's no mean feat to take on all three for a week.  They'll have fun, but I have a feeling I'll have to scrape her off the floor by the time we get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment